|Tel||+44 (0)1865 271902|
- European welfare systems in times of mobility Research Project
- THEMIS data Research Project
- Family strategies of migrants in West Africa Research Project
- Migrants in countries in crisis: Supporting an evidence-based approach for effective and cooperative state action Research Project
- Oxford Diasporas Programme Research Project
- Theorizing the Evolution of European Migration Systems Research Project
- African Perspectives on Human Mobility Research Project
- Mobility in the African Great Lakes Research Project
Director and Associate Professor
- James Martin Fellow
Oliver’s work focuses on the intersections between migration and mobility and broader processes of development and change, with a particular empirical focus on migration within Africa.
Oliver’s current research focuses on migration, integration and diaspora in sub-Saharan Africa, including projects on the formation of African diasporas within Africa, family strategies of migrants in Burkina Faso, and migration and social protection. He was the principal investigator for the four-year Theorizing the Evolution of European Migration Systems (THEMIS) project and the African Great Lakes Mobility project.
Prior to joining IMI, Oliver spent many years working with migrants and refugees both as a researcher and as a practitioner with a range of development and humanitarian NGOs. He holds a PhD and MSc in Development Studies from the University of Bath and a BA in Mathematics from the University of Cambridge.
Tracing diasporic identifications in Africa's urban landscapes: Evidence from Lusaka and Kampala
Oliver Bakewell and Naluwembe Binaisa, (2016), Ethnic and Racial Studies, 39(2), 280 - 300
Beyond Networks: Feedback in International Migration
Oliver Bakewell et al, (2015), Beyond Networks: Feedback in International Migration
Migration within Developing Areas: Some African perspectives on mobility
Oliver Bakewell and in A. Triandafyllidou (ed.), (2015), Routledge Handbook of Immigration and Refugee Studies
Broadcast feedback as causal mechanisms for migration
Oliver Bakewell and Dominique Jolivet, (2015), IMI Working Paper Series, 113
Moving from War to Peace in the Zambia-Angola Borderlands
Oliver Bakewell in Darshan Vigneswaran and Joel Quirk (eds.), (2015), Mobility Makes States, 194 - 217