- Determinants of International Migration Research Project
- European welfare systems in times of mobility Research Project
- Global Migration Futures Research Project
- Transnational Migration, Citizenship and the Circulation of Rights and Responsibilities Research Project
- Transatlantic Dialogues on Migration and Development Issues Research Project
- EUMAGINE: Imagining Europe from the Outside Research Project
- Theorizing the Evolution of European Migration Systems Research Project
Hein de Haas
Co-Director and Associate Professor in Migration Studies
- James Martin Fellow
- Honorary Professor of Migration and Development at Maastricht University
Hein de Haas's research focuses on the linkages between migration and broader processes of human development and globalisation, primarily from the perspective of migrant-sending societies. He did extensive fieldwork in the Middle East and North Africa and, particularly, Morocco.
He has published on a wide range of issues including migration theory, migration and development, remittances and transnationalism, integration, migration determinants, migration futures and the links between migration and environmental change.
Hein de Haas has a PhD in social sciences (Radboud University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands), an undergraduate degree in cultural anthropology and an MA (cum laude) in human and environmental geography (University of Amsterdam).
Before joining IMI in 2006, Hein de Haas held researcher and lecturer positions at the Radboud University of Nijmegen and the University of Amsterdam, and was a visiting fellow to the Forced Migration and Refugees Studies programme of the American University of Cairo. For several years he has taught migration theory at the University of Maastricht.
He acted as consultant or advisor to governments and international organisations including the UK Government Office of Science, EU, UNDP, UNRISD, IOM and Oxfam.
Evaluating Migration Policy Effectiveness
Mathias Czaika et al, (2015), Routledge Handbook of Immigration and Refugee Studies
The determinants of migration policies. Does the political orientation of governments matter?
Hein de Haas and Katharina Natter, (2015), IMI Working Paper Series, 117
African Migration: Exploring the role of development and states
Marie-Laurence Flahaux and Hein de Haas , (2014), IMI Working Paper Series, 105
Migration Theory: Quo Vadis?
Hein de Haas, (2014), IMI Working Paper Series, 100
Growing restrictiveness or changing selection? The nature and evolution of migration policies
Hein de Haas et al, (2014), IMI Working Paper Series, 96